Thursday, January 26, 2012

Snappy Nappies

Finally got around to pinting a HaT French Fusilier. I think he came out pretty well considering I was using crappy brushes, and had bad lighting. Anyone who knows me, knows my ultimate objective is to have decent or nice looking troops, but the overall goal is to "get them in the field!" This is the opening shots of my Peninsular project. I am going to base a bunch of units for Age of Eagles and hopefully play a few segments of Talavera or Slalmanca. Then once I do that, I'll play a whole, damn battle in Volley & Bayonet! Huzzah!



This was my first go at a French soldier. Note the furniture on the musket; paint had already started to chip off. I thought I'd get lucky, but all of his battle-buddies received a bath prior to prepping.


Unfortunately, with modern HD cameras, you can see all of the imperfections (or my imperfections are just noticeable!), but all in all, he looks pretty good I think. Note the chevrons on his arm and his decoration on cuffs.


Needed an Osprey book or better reference for his kit. It didn't look like the Fusiliers had any ornaments on their cartridge box on the HaT packaging. Just the light infantry and grenadiers. By the way, the detail on these HaT guys is extraordinary!

Here he is marching off to find dinner.

The officer and a Fusilier next to our corporal. It's going to be a long campaign!

6 comments:

  1. Good going Steven, I take it you have a good number to paint!!!
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul - I have way more figures than I can count! Another reason for my bad paint jobs :) Thanks for commenting

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing bad about the painting Steven, My brother, Nephew and I have a huge amount of plastics too (both painted and unpainted).
    Unfortunately ours are now for ebay as we have moved 100% over to metal and hard plastic (although a lot of the more recent plastic are very hard and good to paint).
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah ha! Taking advantage of my lull in activity to get ahead on the Napoleonics painting front eh! :-)

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave,
    You caught me red handed! I was hoping to field a unit of Fusiliers before you could get any more of your magnificent painting on the blog. Remember, quantity has a quality all its own ;)

    Slow progress indeed for me. I have about 9 troops laid down in various stages of completion right now and as you know, 9 troops don't make a brigade, even for Age of Eagles!

    Looking forward to seeing your guys.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice painting, wish mine was as good. as far as cameras showing all the detail, try an old glamour trick, put a thin black gauss type of handkerchief over the lens to soften the focus ever so slightly. Or get something similar at a yardage store.

    ReplyDelete