Sunday, March 4, 2012

Even Snappier Nappies

Last night I painted up more of my Hat 20 mm 1/72 French Fusiliers. While not completely historically accurate, I think they look OK. I', not totally happy with them, but they are for gaming, not for winning at any contests!


I have a dilemma as far as basing them is concerned due to their size. I'm not sure the Age of Eagles basing convention was ever supposed to support 20mm figures or larger. I invoked what the French would call "linence poetique" and I upgraded the bases...


These are 1-1/2" bases and I think they look very nice when all of the figures are glued on them. I had previously had them on 1" square bases, but they were too crowded. Then I put them only two to a base and the line looked too skimpy for a period when "levee en masse" was in effect.

So the reader is left with this - a base that is large enough to accommodate six figures and still small enough to form an Age of Eagles brigade. I will give them one thing, when I have a brigade of six to eight stands, it's going to look super impressive on the tabletop. Unfortunately this doubled my painting time. Instead of three troopers per stand, it's now six, and these pesky French already took me weeks to finish.

I think I hear the "pas de charge!"

Marching towards the lines at Talavera.

Command stand is incomplete. I still need to finish the musician and the color bearer.

The officer turned out nicely. I wonder what his decoration is for?

The Brits should be easier with less soldiers; the Russians harder with triple the amount. Either way, looks like I won't be playing an Age of Eagles game for about 15 years.

And as an interesting side note, I only have to make three of these bases to form a Shako battalion, and I can fit one base on a sabot to make a Volley & Bayonet brigade. So that's not too bad. Back to painting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment